John Feeney’s writing has appeared in Atlantic Free Press, BBC News’s Green Room, Countercurrents.org, Culture Change, Dissident Voice, Energy Bulletin, Online Journal, PeopleAndPlanet.net, Share The World’s Resources, SHIFT Mag, The Arabesques Review, The Guardian, The Intelligence Daily, The Oil Drum, The Smirking Chimp, and other publications. Here are some links:
GIM is now an archive, rarely maintained at all. My thinking has evolved since the site was active. My current site is at johnfeeney.net.
GIM addresses humanity's most urgent challenge: the need to confront our continued irrational push for unending growth on a finite earth. The emphasis is on population growth and corporate economic growth as they interact with resource consumption rates and our reliance on fossil energy, pushing us toward global ecological collapse.
"We've been too kind to those who are destroying the planet.We have been inexcusably, unforgivably, insanely kind." -- Derrick Jensen
"As the materialization of alienation, agriculture is the triumph of estrangement and the definite divide between culture and nature and humans from each other." -- John Zerzan
"The raging monster upon the land is population growth. In its presence, sustainability is but a fragile theoretical construct. To say, as many do, that the difficulties of nations are not due to people but to poor ideology or land-use management is sophistic." -- E.O. Wilson
Notes and updates
- September 18, 2008: Check out the Global Population Speak Out!
- May 5, 2008: Latest article - published in the Guardian. I think this may be my most important article to date. It's an effort to dismantle the argument that we can solve our environmental woes by reducing per person consumption while ignoring population. My other comments on it are here.
- April - May, 2008: Radio series on population and the global ecological crisis. This is running on Free Range Thought, WKNY Radio (1490 AM), Kingston, New York. I'm involved as a guest or "cohost" on many of the shows.
- 2007 ECO Award: I'm pleased to report receiving a 2007 ECO Award from the Earth Community Organization for the essay, "Six steps to 'getting' the global ecological crisis." Thanks!
- Don't miss the guest articles by ... 2008: Albert Bandura, February 18; Ken Whitehead, January 17; Brad Arnold, January 5 | 2007: Abdul Basit, December 13; Russ Hopfenberg, December 6; Jim Lydecker, November 25; Brian Czech, November 15; Glen Barry, October 22; Adam W. Parsons, October 7; Emily Spence, October 1; Herman Daly, September 3; Jerry West, August 18; Kent Welton, July 29; J. Kenneth Smail, July 13
Visits come from…